Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Montevideo, Argentina

"I see the mountain!" exclaimed the explorer Juan Diaz de Solis,  who first sailed into this large bay, and so named this capital city of Argentina. Of our group, I am perhaps the only one who really likes Montevideo - a little run down, a little decrepit, very alive, just............funky! I guess my aesthetic was set long ago in dear old New Haven, as my taste in cities definitely runs towards the shabby.

On this last day of Carnaval, that is Mardi Gras, many of the shops were closed, but all of the market stalls and eateries were open, with people chowing down on as much barbecue as they could handle on this Fat Tuesday. Tomorrow, the cathedrals will be full I'm sure.

The Old City is set on a peninsula between the waters of the bay and the river, Rio de la Plata. Lots of "Vende" signs, and boarded up buildings which, apparently, are slated to be 'Humanitarian Communes' or 'Artists' Cooperatives'. Security police are everywhere...well, I certainly felt safe. Children play soccer in the street, and in the numerous playgrounds.

Along the sea promenade, families, couples, and groups of young kids try their hand at fishing.

A bright, windy day... and lots of friendly people.

No comments:

Post a Comment