Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hamilton Island, QLD, Australia

 25 October 2012 -  (564 Nautical Miles from Brisbane) -

This tiny island in the Whitsunday chain is probably the most commercial, home to some resort hotels as well as residences. The rest of the chain, I hear, is fairly undeveloped and thus good for boat trips and snorkeling. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitsunday_Islands

I walk to the closest beach, but there is a strong wind and lots of sand blowing around. The water is cold! Deciding to take a hike, I find a trail which goes up the mountain to a view point over the bay. In the interior, it is hot and still, and I hear, but do not see, lots of birds. 

There is a tiny wildlife park near one of the hotels, and I have the opportunity to hug and hold a koala. She is 4 years old and quite tiny. Her fur is dense and soft, and she holds onto me with her paws and long nails. She is a darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment